Itching can be
- An occasional annoyance like a mosquito bite
- Seasonal as part of a more complex picture (i.e. hayfever)
- More permanent such as a byproduct of very dry skin, eczema, or other pathologies.
In Chinese medicine (CM), itch is often (but not limited to) a symptom of either Wind, (toxic) Heat, Dryness, Damp, Blood deficiency, or a combination of them.
The important questions for an accurate diagnosis are:
- Is there redness?
- Is the itch limited to a specific area of the body?
- Is there oozing/ blisters at the site?
- Is the itch seasonal?
- Does it get worse in Heat or Cold?
Once it is clear what the underlying pathogens/ deficiencies are, a specific CM formula will work on expelling the pathogens (Heat, Damp, etc) and re-balancing the body (i.e. clear dryness).